Each culture has its unique curry - masala - a mix of species. Berbere is the mix of key species in the gastronomy of Ethiopia and Eritrea. Like the masala in the Indian culture, depending on each region, it varies in proportions and ingredients.
- 2 teaspoons of coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon of fenugreek
- 1 teaspoon of black peppercorns
- 2 allspice peppers (guayabita peppers)
- 4 green cardamoms, only the seeds
- 4 cloves
- 5 dried red chilies with seeds: replaced by a mix of Merkén, (Peruvian chili) and Korean chili powder, about 2 tsp.
Whole spices, seeds, and the chili peppers gride until powder. Do this in a spice grinder or mortar.
- 3 teaspoons of sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of ginger
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
Mix everything well and store it in a clean jar in a dry place.