During our childhood at home with my brothers, this was the most popular potato recipe for all of us. Mum's German potato salad. We used to have it in barbeques along with guasacaca (Venezuelan guacamole).
4 medium-large white potatoes
- Washed and cut in cubes of about 3x3cm
- Boil with salt, until soft
- Drain the water out and keep potatoes covered
The dressing (prepare while potatoes are boiling):
1 medium-large white onion, finely diced
1/2 cup of water
2 Tbsp of English mustard (substitute for Dijo mustard for an extra kick, optional)
2-4 Tbsp of white wine or apple cider vinegar
1 tsp of sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
4 Tbsp of olive oil
2 handfuls of parsley, finely chopped. Save one on the side for serving
2 gherkins pickles, finely diced
- Heat the water in a saucepan, and add onion, mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Allow the water to reach simmering temperature, and cook for 3min. Stir. Turn off the stove, add oil.
- In a large bowl, and once the potatoes are boiled and drained, add the sauce (hot), 1 handful of parsley, and gherkins, stir to combine. Cover the bowl and allow to sit for 10 min.
- Store in the fridge for 2 hours or so before serving.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and cracked black pepper.