"Hot" Brown Lentils and Vegetable Soup
1 1/4 cups of brown lentils, precooked with a pinch of salt
2 Tbsp of cooking oil
1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
1/2 tsp onion seeds
Pinch of hing and black pepper
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1 red hot chilies (optional), swap for bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 medium-size carrot, chunks
1 fresh tomato, chunks
1-inch fresh ginger
1/2 veg stock cube
1 tsp of cornstarch
1 big handful of fresh green beans, cut into 3
1 handful of broccoli, chunks
Salt to taste
For serving: Fresh Cilantro (finely chop), olive oil and, lime.
- Cook lentils according to packages instructions with a bit of salt.
- Chop and prepare the vegetables.
- In a blender, add carrot, ginger, tomato, veg stock, cornstarch, salt, and 500ml of water. Blend until smooth.
- In a big pot, heat the oil and add the dried spices. Follow by red chili, garlic, and celery, and some salt. Saute for at least 7 min.
- Add the blended vegetables (pure), bring to boil. Cook for 5min.
- Add 1 liter of boiling water to the pot, allow to reach boiling temperature. Cook for 5 min.
- Add broccoli and green beans. Cook for 10 min.
- Strain part of the water of the lentils out and add the rest to the big soup pot. Cook for another 5 to 10 min. Check salt and add more water if needed.
- Turn off the stove, cover the pot, and allow the soup to rest for 10min before serving.