Travel to Morocco with this healthy and delicious chickpea and vegetable stew.
2 tsp of coriander seeds (grind in a mortar)
1 tsp of cumin seeds (grind in a mortar)
1 medium-size cinnamon stick (break into smaller pieces with your hands)
1/2 tsp of chili flakes
1/4 tsp of hing, or substitute for 1 clove of garlic, minced
1 to 2 hot chilies, finely chopped (optional)
1 sweet bell pepper, diced small
2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
3 stalks of green onion, finely chopped
2 handful of raisins, any kind
half a squash, chopped into chunks
2 carrots, chopped into chunks
2 potatoes, chopped into chunks
2 tomatoes, chopped in medium size cubes
Oil for cooking
2 drained tins of chickpeas
1 cube of vegetable stock diluted into 1,5 liters of water
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander, finely chopped including stalks
1. Heat oil in a large pot and add coriander and cumin seeds (ground) with the cinnamon, chili flakes, and hing. Stir fry until fragrant, about 1 to 2 min.
2. Add chilies, bell pepper, celery, green onions, and salt, sauté for 3 minutes. Add raisins, stir occasionally, and cook for another 3 minutes.
3. Add squash, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, and salt, stir and sauté for 5-7min.
4. Add vegetable stock, and then bring back to the boil. Lower the heat to a low simmer, cook for 15min.
5. Add the drained chickpeas, cover the pot, and cook for another 15min.
6. After 15min, turn off the stove and with a handheld mashing tool, roughly mash the combined mixture. This will thicken the stew and combine the flavors better. Avoid over mashing!
7. Serve with plenty of fresh coriander.