2 medium aubergines, cut into halves, lengthwise
3 tablespoon olive oil
1/8 tsp of hing or, 1 medium onion (chopped) + 2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 tsp chili flakes
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 medium tomatoes, chopped or a 280gr of tin chopped tomatoes (discard excess water from the tin)
1/2 cup fresh basil, leaves chopped (extra for garnish). Parsley also works
1 tsp of mixed Italian spices (thyme, oregano, rosemary)
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
Black pepper to taste
1/2 cup almonds/cashews, optional
1/4 cup vegan Parmesan, optional
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Cut aubergines in half. Then carve the flesh several times with a knife before you carefully scrape it out with a tablespoon so that the edge is about 5 mm wide.
- Chop the aubergine flesh finely.
- Mix 1 tbsp olive oil and some salt. Coat the aubergines with it.
- Place aubergines empty boats in a baking tray and bake for 15min-20min.
- Meanwhile, prepare the stuffing by heating 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan, and high heat.
- Add chili flakes, hing, red bell pepper, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the aubergine flesh, tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, salt, sugar, black pepper, and fry for about 10 minutes.
- Take the boats (aubergines) out of the oven, fill them with the mixture, and topped them with nut parmesan.
- Place stuffed aubergines back in the oven, with the broil mode, and 220ºC for 10min.
- Serve this delicious boats with fresh basil or parsley, and drizzled olive oil.