Our favorite sugar-free oat bars. Healthy and easy treat.
2 Very ripe bananas
3 Tbsp of vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 Tbsp flax seeds or chia, pre-soaked (cover them with hot water)
1 1/3 cup of porridge oats
1 cup of cassava bread crumbs (can be substituted for wheat/rice flour)
2/3 cup of mixed crunched nuts
1/4 cup of mixed dry fruits
1/2 cup of chocolate chips
1/4 tsp of cinnamon
1/4 tsp of salt
- Pour boiling water just to cover the seeds. Allow them to expand for 5min - 10min.
- In a blender, add the expanded seeds, oil, vanilla essence, and ripe bananas. The riper the bananas the sweeter the treat.
- Blend until smooth.
- In a bowl, add all dry ingredients and mix.
- Add blended wet ingredients into the bowl, and combine wet and dry. You will get a thick dough, similar to cookie bit dryer and less oily. * Note: depending on the flour you used, the dough might require some extra liquid. Just add a few tablespoons of water if it looks too dry.
- Spread the dough evenly on a baking tray, use baking paper, or pre grease and flour the tray. Spread and compact the dough well by pressing the dough. This will avoid having crumbly bars later. For the baking time below, the cookies should be no more than 2cm thick.
- Pre-heated oven at 175ºC. Bake for about 30 min or until golden brown.
- After baking, allow to cool down before cutting. If you end up with some crumbs, use them as a Granola for breakfast.
Storage in an airtight container and keep in the fridge. Consume within a week, and if you got too much, they freeze well.